Thursday, August 13, 2009

Montmartre




My first important task of the day was going for a walk to the Boulanger to buy baguettes for our lunch. Then I went to the Franprix to get a few essentials like milk and bikkies. After Andrew made us lunch, everyone settled down for a quiet afternoon. Ella was playing with her new Tinkerbell and Minnie toy dressups. Samuel was playing computer games on the laptop and Andrew was reading his Dan Brown book. So as no-one wanted to accompany me I ventured out on my own to walk up to Montmartre. I wanted to visit Place du Tertre where the artists have their easels set up and they’ll paint your portrait or draw a caricature of you.

Place du Tertre was lively and buzzy, just as I’d imagined and all those stairs to climb. Exhausting. I had to get a photo. No wonder French women are so slim with all the walking they do. Many of the streets around the Butte de Montmartre are cobbled and the views are great.

I walked up, down and around. It was bliss being alone without anyone whining at me. I saw the moulins used for flour milling years ago and the famous Moulin Rouge. I was carrying the Lonely Planet with me. It’s good practice for me to work things out for myself instead of relying on Andrew all the time. He finds everything so easy and I don’t but I get there in the end at my own pace – it’s just not as fast as him.

No comments: