Sunday, May 17, 2009

Things I love about France

I love the language even though I can’t speak it. I love hearing the sexy sound of it, the drama of it and the expressive way people speak.

I love the relaxed lifestyle. Everything stops for lunch. Food is important, something I love because I love eating and food. I love the way food is offered in small portions not supersized.

I love how people acknowledge each other when they meet with a kiss (or three) or a handshake. When the french enter a shop or cafe they say "Bonjour" to everyone who is already there.

I love the relaxed attitude to “the rules” – eg. stopping in the middle of the street, putting on the hazard lights and leaving the car unattended for however long it takes to do whatever business they are doing. Usually the critical task of buying the day’s baguette!

I love the beauty of the scenery. I love the huge, old, plane trees. I love the history and buildings and all the “olden day” stuff which is fascinating. I love that the kids can be exposed to the culture and history around them every single day and school kids can visit ancient places as part of their schoolwork.

I love driving through the countryside and admiring the gorgeous old farmhouses and all the little villages dotted around the countryside. I love how we've seen the four seasons and how the scenery changes so much during each season.

I love the variety of things to do and see. I love the stylish well-dressed people and how they get dressed up in their finest to go for a walk on a nice day.

I love the helpful friendly people, yes, you heard right. In the majority, we have had nothing but kindness from people we have dealt with. Considering we’re guests in their country not to mention guests who don’t even speak their language I think their patience and helpfulness has been wonderful especially when we say we come from Australia (and not England).

No comments: