Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cavaillon 11 February 2009

Cavaillon is not pretty. I was unpleasantly surprised when we first arrived in Provence. It was not what I expected. There was graffiti on everything and lots of rubbish lying along the sides of the road and blown up against fences. Certainly not the gorgeous scenery I’ve seen in all the Provençal postcards and photos. It’s a very old area.

I’m still getting used to the new villa aka stables. Apparently the villa was stables in a previous lifetime. I dislike new places usually. It takes me some time to be ok with new so I have to get things the way I like them, re-organise bits and pieces and it makes me feel like I've put my mark on things. Plus it has a few things I don’t like but which I will get used to – like the washing machine taking several hours to complete a cycle; we’re using the landlord’s wifi connection; the oven has no temperature gauge so you have to guess what temperature you’ve set it on. Only small things, I know, but as I said, it takes me a bit to get used to things. On the bright side, there's a food processor and I made my whole orange sourcream cake and it turned out yummy except for the burnt bottom bit (I'm blaming the oven).

No comments: