Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Day 3 - Ski-ing 29 January 2009

In the telecabin going up to the ski station
Faraway photo of Ella (middle) and her friend (front)






The practice area




We had another lesson today. Today we had an excellent day ski-ing. We were much better organised. We were up at the ski station earlier for a bit of practice before our lesson. Samuel dug in the snow hole that he’d made the day before and said he definitely didn’t want any practice before our lesson.

To be honest when we had our first ski lesson I hated it (and so did Samuel I think). I found it frightening, slippery, I hated the speed and I was scared I was going to hurt myself or hurt someone else crashing into them. My shoes hurt, my pants were uncomfortable and I really couldn’t have cared if I never ski-ed again. By the third lesson with a bit more practice I started to enjoy it. It’s hard in the beginning but as the instructor said to me “It’s the same for everyone at the beginning”. Ski-ing uses muscles you never knew you had. It’s exhilarating when you feel as though you’re getting a bit better and lose that fear a little bit. It’s actually great fun.

Today Samuel decided after the lesson he would have another go on his own and once he started there was no stopping him. He just kept going up the rope and ski-ing down again and again till they turned the rope off at 5.30 pm. Samuel and Ella were the last kids still ski-ing.

Ella made a friend. This little girl all dressed in pink the same as Ella claimed her and the two of them happily ski-ed all afternoon together. Every now and then we could hear this maniacal laughter which was Ella enjoying herself going faster and faster with her arms raised in the air and then cruising to a comfortable finish in position at the start of the rope pulley ready to go up again.

It was very enjoyable for Andrew and I to see both our kids doing so well and really enjoying themselves. Samuel practised his turns in between some ski poles that had been placed there by an ESF instructor for practice.

No comments: