Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ski-ing Trip Tuesday 27 January 2009

Looking out of the telecabin down to the cars below covered in snow
Telecabin
Ella and me
Andrew and Samuel ready for action
It was a rainy, blurry drive to Ax-les-Thermes

We left Carlipa this morning to drive to Ax-les-Thermes in the Pyrenees. It only took a couple of hours. We found our hotel and were able to check in early. We went to pick up our ski gear that we’d hired. The lady in the shop was really nice and helped us with sizes. The kids' gear included helmets. All the kids wear helmets to ski. I hadn’t guessed the kids’ shoe sizes too well and the ski shoes were very heavy and uncomfortable to walk in.

Carrying all the equipment (skis, poles, shoes and helmets) was hard going. The gear was heavy and the kids couldn’t manage their own gear.

Our first ski lesson was booked for 1pm. Just the four of us with the ESF instructor (École de Ski Français - France's leading ski school). He was very patient with us and good with the kids. Ella and Samuel took to it easily. They are amazing!

I think ski-ing should be called slipping. It so, so slippery. The first time I put skis on and immediately started sliding backwards I couldn’t believe how slippery it was. I fell over a few times and just couldn’t get myself into any sort of position to pick myself up. It was very awkward and quite unnatural if you ask me.

Ella was getting quite a bit of speed up and loving it. At one point she was having her turn and Samuel was at the other end and Andrew and I could hear her laughing as she scooted down the snow not too slowly. The instructor told her to slow down.

Samuel was a bit irritated with it. The rope pulley was a bit hard to get used to but once he got the hang of it there was no stopping him.

No comments: